Sunday, December 28, 2014

My newest passion

Quick update...

We decided not to move after all. Chris was told there would be work through winter but once it started raining work dropped like usual. We could have tried to make it in the new house but it would have been tight. On top of that we are reconsidering moving away at all. After reviewing the numbers we won't be saving any more money by moving and we really have no desire to live in the area away from everyone we know. So instead we decided to move into my mom and stepdad's house for winter and then in a couple of months we'll reconsider moving.

In the meantime I want to talk more about things I'm passionate about especially things I know I'm always telling people about and things I'm learning about. Which leads me to the point of this post.

My last pregnancy my midwife noticed that I had a slight diastasis recti. At the time I had no idea what it was but after some research I wasn't too concerned with the size mine was at the time.  Then baby was born and I knew nothing about how it could get worse or how to prevent it from happening.

Before I became pregnant this go around I finally researched what exactly diastasis recti is. It is when your abdominal muscles that make up a six pack are separated creating a gap in between. It can be caused by pregnancy and is actually very common. During pregnancy a lot of pressure is placed on the tendon in between your muscles which causes them to separate. With proper alignment and healthy abs it can be prevented even during pregnancy.

I began working towards repairing the gap and was hoping to be done before getting pregnant. Having multiple pregnancies close together can make it worse or even cause it. But we've been blessed with another kiddo so I became more diligent to repairing the diastasis before baby comes.

When the move started coming up I was set back a bit but mostly because our internet crapped out at the time and I couldn't get good enough signal to watch my workout videos. I should have stayed diligent to at least walk but I chose not to.

Fast forward to after our move to my moms and I realized that the dr (diastasis recti) has gotten bigger. Uh oh...So I ordered a pregnancy splint to help heal and have been working out in hopes of healing my abs before baby comes or at the very least prepare them for birth and to be healed post partum.

But I say all this because in my research I happened across a blog by a bio mechanist who thinks just like Chris and i. Most of the things we believe about life come from a foundational thought of how did the Lord create us to be/live? Whether it be food, lifestyle, family values, or even movement, how did the Lord create us to function? He is the perfect designer and had reasons for why he made us and the world the way he did. So whenever we question an aspect of life we view it through that lense. A lot of things are presented in the word but the not so important to salvation things aren't so we must use critical thinking and common sense.

What does this have to do with having a diastasis recti? Well I don't believe that God created women's abs to be separated after pregnancy and in need of specific workouts or surgery to repair it. So what is the bigger problem that is causing this problem in so many women today?

From childhood we are taught both intentionally and unintentionally to sit whenever possible. And when we aren't sitting we are trying to find a way to sit as soon as possible. With tv, office jobs, chairs literally every where we go, toilets...I mean it doesn't end. And sitting is the antithesis to movement. But did God create us to sit still so much? Did he intends for us to have to work out in order to stay "healthy" or was his design meant for us to be moving most of the day which helps all systems in our body.

My mind is being blown with ideas and concepts that I'm reading from this blog and I'm thinking of ways to raise my children differently and to change our whole family's literally to be more active daily not just occasionally.

My hope is that I inspire you to do the same. Look it up and think about it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment